In an effort to protect the privacy of its citizens at home and worldwide, any business that collects the contact information of European citizens, regardless of geographical location MUST comply with the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation).
Disclaimer: We are not lawyers, we are coaches, marketers & developers. You should always consult your lawyer before making decisions with legal implications. We will not be held responsible for any violations levied against you as a result of implementing strategies in this article or use of the compliance tools provided by the Harbor Marketing System.
The Rules of GDPR:
- Your business address and phone number must be present in the footer of every marketing & transnational emails sent on behalf of your company.
- A clearly labelled unsubscribe link must be in the footer of every email.
- You must honour any unsubscribe requests across all your marketing properties.
- Subject lines must not be misleading, and information contained in emails must also not be misleading.
- All email addresses must be confirmed before they can receive marketing.
- Contacts can make a request of informant in which you as a business must disclose any information you’ve collected about a contact.
- Contacts can request that you delete or anonymize any information you’ve collected thus far.
- Contacts must give explicit consent before you can legally send them marketing.
- Remember, even if you operate outside of the EU if you serve EU customers than you must comply with these regulations.
See below how you can implement Harbor Marketing tools to make this process easy.
Enable GDPR Features
- You can enable Harbor Marketing GDPR feature set by going to Business Suite Dashboard>Marketing Tools>Settings
2. Go to Compliance Tab and selecting Enable GDPR Features
You can also enable Strict compliance by enabling the last option to not send emails without consent. This is recommended if you are a business based in the EU.
The above will enable two new features in the email preferences center.
Information Request Form
Any contact will be able to make an information request about their data. Harbor Marketing will generate an email and send it to their inbox. You do not have to do anything.
Deletion Request Form
Contacts will be able to delete their contact records. This is also automatic and requires no action from you.